Thursday 7 February 2013

House and Garden 1951



Here is the article from 1951 House and Garden with my parents tiny flat in Kensington Gardens. My mother always used to say that it was actually very damp and dark and pokey, and to line it with asbestos! The hardboard flooring was constantly curling up and tripping you up ... but it looks so like the beginings of a style I came to know as 'home'. My father and uncle, Robert Nicholson both used to smoke heavily and my mother would say it was quite hard to breath let alone bring up my older brother John then a baby in this little flat. But still my father looks so handsome here, ... and some of the ornaments and pieces of furniture including the Ernest Race rocking chair I still know and love. The rocking chair was also another death trap as small squidgy fingers could be sliced off guillotine style under those rockers! Ah the pitfalls of modern living in the 1950s!


5 comments:

  1. OoH, it does look fabulous. What a splendid record of family history to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous. Love it. Thanks for showing us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks so incredibly stylish and up to date - I love the blue on the walls! I'm so glad '50s styling and design is 'fashionable' again. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it won’t be a taboo topic however generally people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers
    goedkoopste pelletkachels

    ReplyDelete