Thursday 19 September 2013

Stitch Cards

My mother's teaching aid ... stitch cards showing a variety of hand embroidery stitches
My mother's teaching aid ... stitch cards showing a variety of hand embroidery stitches
Now ... in advance of our latest range of products I am going to share with you some of my mother's teaching aids. She made these stitch cards to show different embroidery stitches, and how to embellish them further by weaving and stitching into them, and as stitching on counted punched holes makes for certain accuracy, it meant her pupils could not fail. She used thick cotton embroidery threads, in wonderful sixties hot colours. The pricks in the cards were made by a fabulous spiked wheeled tool which could inflict a nasty bite if it slipped. It was one of my jobs when a child to run the wheel along a pencil line on the cards, then she would come along with a special tool she made by ramming a wide eyed needle, eye first into a large rubber, and pushed it through the tiny hole made by the wheel , opening up ready to be stitched.

I had a lovely class in Hythe last week where I had some happy guinea pigs to try the cards! It is very satisfying stitching through cards ... a good noise and perfect stitching every time.

My own stitch cards will be available in a week or to and those of you who receive the Newsletter will be hearing of it via that also. But will post some more as soon as I can!

10 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Much better than a printed sheet that doesn't show the actual textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you barely need to have instructions as it is so visually straightforward. The brain works out the stitches for you! Pesky instructions! xx

      Delete
  2. wow, this is genius! Really great idea, well done both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well inspired by these I am bring out a new range of stitch cards, which will be ready very soon. xx

      Delete
  3. Well done to your Mum these are a great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much of what she taught me, showed me was brilliant but simple ... xxx

      Delete
  4. Great idea :-D Wish I'd had things like these, I might not have given up trying to learn anything other than running or cross stitches ;-) Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Yes they are brilliant ... It's NEVER too late to learn anything ... give it a go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. your stich cards are really super

    ReplyDelete
  7. These remind me of the old stitch cards that were for children with minimal stitching and non-lethal 'needle'. I like yours much better. I have been practicing new stitches lately after being away from embroidery for many years. When I first learned, I knew two stitches. My mind is boggled at the very many we have to choose from!

    ReplyDelete